Homework is set across all subjects and is an important part of ensuring students make progress.
It is a time for parents and carers to find out about the work students have been doing at school and it is important that parents and carers check that students complete homework on time and to the best of their ability. If a student experiences difficulty with homework they should speak to their classroom teacher or advisor as soon as possible to resolve the issue. All members of staff will be delighted to help students with any problems.
It is useful for students to complete homework in a quiet place but if this is difficult at home because family life is very busy these days, students are very welcome to complete homework in the learning resource centre after school or at lunchtime.
Homework Strategy using Class Charts
Homework has a critical role to play in accelerating the progress of our students.
We use a system called Class charts which allows you to keep track of homework given, submitted and whether it is overdue and can be accessed through a range of devices.
Follow the instructions below to track your child’s homework instantly.
- Open www.classcharts.com/parent/login or download the app for apple or android.
- Enter your e-mail address
- Choose ‘I don’t have an account yet’
- Enter your parent access code and name
- Choose a password
- Click login
Frequency of homework is dependent on the department, please see below for details.
Homework is being set differently by different departments to reflect the amount of class time your child has, these quantities are detailed below.
Homework can take various forms, please see below for examples:
- Vocabulary – related to the spelling and/or definition of key terminology
- Reading – students are set the challenge to read a piece of text that contributes to learning.
- Multimedia – students to watch a video/film/documentary or list to audio that will extend their thinking.
- Research – to enable the student to be prepared to contribute to a future lesson
- Consolidation – to consolidate learning that has taken place in the classroom.
- Investigation – students are set investigative homework that spans a series of weeks or extended project.
If parents/carers feel that insufficient or too much homework is being set they should contact their child’s advisor in the first instance who will investigate the situation. If your child does not have access to the internet for homework please inform your child’s advisor so that we can support in this instance.